- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 4 slices bread, toasted and halved
- In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Arrange eggs over the top.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter; gradually stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over eggs.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with toast. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Asparagus on Toast
"Next time I will cut up the asparagus, reduce the sauce, and add more eggs."
"The photo of this recipe looks like my mother made it and I have made it. Basically toast tips underneath an asparagus cheese sauce with sliced eggs on top. However the directions are very unclear. They sound as if you are to make a casserole and serve with toast on the side. In fact it says "serve with toast" not "serve on toast". This recipe sure requires a lot of dirty pans. So...which is it for this recipe?"