- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 4 slices bread, toasted and halved
- In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in of water to a boil. Add asparagus; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes; drain. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Arrange eggs over the top. In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over eggs. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve over toast. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Asparagus on Toast
"The photo of this recipe looks like my mother made it and I have made it. Basically toast tips underneath an asparagus cheese sauce with sliced eggs on top. However the directions are very unclear. They sound as if you are to make a casserole and serve with toast on the side. In fact it says "serve with toast" not "serve on toast". This recipe sure requires a lot of dirty pans. So...which is it for this recipe?"