Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring, optional
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Assorted food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line muffin cups with foil or paper liners. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes. Place 1 marble (or marble-sized foil ball) in each muffin cup between liners and muffin pan to create heart shape.
- Fill prepared cups half full. Bake according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter, shortening, milk, vanilla and, if desired, butter flavoring until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. If desired, tint frosting with food coloring. Frost cupcakes and decorate with Valentine messages.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 228 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 29, 2016
These cupcakes were great, however I didn't have a heart shaped muffin pan I used different color icing and added conversation hearts on the top and this just may be the one I go with. The "testers" loved them
Feb 10, 2012
I'm baking these cupcakes for my daughter?s birthday party this year. We did a test run and she loved them so much that she wants me to make extras so her friends to take one home with them. I?m going to let the kids write their own message on the cupcake they take home.I checked online and found that Box and Wrap was a great place to get cupcake boxes. I have stickers, markers, and crayons so the kids decorate their own cupcake box. At least the extra baking will keep me from buying party favors to give the kids.
Jan 29, 2012
A small ball of foil works great if you dont have a marble. These tasted great and looked so cute! If you are going to eat something sweet, it may as well be cute too!
Feb 6, 2008
Really cute! For the people that do not have heart shapped tins- put a marble on the outside of the paper liner in the tin- they turn out heart shapped!