Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded
- 4 pounds medium potatoes (about 8), peeled and quartered
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Minced fresh parsley
- Crumbled cooked bacon
- Place cabbage and 2 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid; keep cabbage warm in separate dish.
- In same pan, combine potatoes and reserved cooking liquid. Add additional water to cover potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, place milk, green onions, salt and pepper in a small saucepan; bring just to a boil and remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl and mash. Add milk mixture; beat just until blended. Stir in cabbage. To serve, drizzle with butter; top with parsley and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 168 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 24, 2016
I'm from Idaho and thought I had done and seen every thing you could do with a potato. Then I found this in Taste of Home 2003. Unbelievably delicious! I was so impressed I make it every year for St.Patty's day. If you like potatoes and cabbage you are going to love this, it's a keeper!
Mar 12, 2016
I was looking for a recipe with cabbage in it and I saw this. I have to admit, I was afraid I wouldn't like them, but they were really tasty.
Jan 26, 2016
I loved this recipe. Very tasty.
Nov 3, 2015
I served this with corned beef instead of boiled cabbage and potatoes. It was delicious!
Mar 14, 2015
Mar 8, 2015
Hi Olive! I've made this recipe before and find it can be reheated easily in the microwave. You may have to add more milk and/or butter, as whipped potatoes seem to dry out very quickly. But they will be delicious just the same. I also like to reheat and keep this dish warm in a crock pot. You can keep them warm beautifully for up to a couple of hours. Works great. Enjoy! This is a lovely recipe.
Mar 5, 2015
I have MS & prepare foods in stages. Can I prepare the day before St. Pat's & warm in the oven next day?
Aug 20, 2014
Just made these for supper tonight. Cut the recipe in half, since there's just the 3 of us. But it was SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD! I'm sure the leftovers won't be in the frig long! Thanks! Hoping to make these for a family dinner some time, but till then, the 1/2 recipe will be fine for us!
Mar 23, 2014
Very good Recipe! Make sure your cabbage is shredded fine and drained really good or the potatoes are a bit runny. After a day of sitting in the fridge and reheated, they were perfect.
Mar 20, 2014
These were good. I served them on st paddy's day with leg of lamb and soda bread.