I was looking for a fun, easy weeknight dinner based on our favorite shrimp dish that was healthier than fast food. This has become a favorite! —Susan Seymour, Valatie, New York
Recommended: 77 Tropical Recipes for a Taste-cation Anytime
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lime-flavored seltzer water
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/4 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- MAUI MUSTARD:
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1/2 cup red pepper jelly
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together first five ingredients. In another shallow bowl, combine coconut and panko. Dip shrimp in batter to coat. Dip in coconut mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Repeat with chicken.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 350°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with chicken. If desired, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- For mustard, mix together pineapple, pepper jelly and stone-ground mustard. Combine shrimp and chicken; serve with Maui mustard. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Chicken and Shrimp in Taste of Home February/March 2018