Classic Cherry Pie Cookies
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hrs. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 to 10 teaspoons 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 jar (12 ounces) cherry preserves
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into two 6-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 3/8-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve piping consistency. Tint frosting with cocoa and food coloring. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; fill with frosting.
- Spread preserves over cookies to within 1/4 in. of edges. Pipe lines across the top of each cookie, forming a lattice. Pipe a fluted edge around the tops of cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 112 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jun 23, 2015
I just made these with blueberry jam... amazing! I did't have to change the recipe at all except for no salt since my butter is salted. Also, I had a lot of leftover icing, so cut the recipe to 3-4 cups of powdered sugar. I will be making these again!
Nov 20, 2014
" i have not made these yet but, they look good. I WILL MAKE THESE!!!"
Dec 6, 2013
I made these quite some time ago and truly couldn't find a thing wrong with them. I didn't add any salt since I have to cut it out at our house but other than that the only thing I did NOT do was the lattice and that was only because I am lazy! I just put a dollop of white frosting in the center, about a nickel size. The "note" here is correct too. It was wonderful with blueberry preserves as a change.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.