Cincinnati Chili Dogs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped and divided
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 10 hot dogs
- 10 hot dog buns, split
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir ground beef, crumbling meat, until no longer pink; drain.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine beef with one chopped onion; add next 8 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low about 2 hours; add hot dogs. Continue cooking, covered, on low until heated through, about 2 hours longer.
- Serve on buns; top with shredded cheese and remaining chopped onion.
Nutrition Facts1 chili dog: 419 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1135mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 17, 2017
At first my husband and I were disappointed in these. For some reason, this came out pretty bland and tasteless. It needed something that I can't quite put my finger on. We could taste the cocoa and cinnamon but it didn't add much to the chili. I let the leftovers cook a little longer and I also let them marinade in the fridge for a day. The next day I tried it again and it was a LOT better. Still not amazing, in my opinion, but much better than before. I'm not sure if I'd make this again, I think there are other chili recipes I like out there more, but this was still pretty good.
Apr 3, 2017
We made these as a special treat for the opening of the baseball season and they were a big hit! I followed the recipe as written......made the whole amount of chili using only five hot dogs, thinking we could use the rest for five-way chili the next day, but there was none left! Will definitely make again, and wouldn't change anything.
Feb 11, 2017
A great twist on the usual chili dog! My family really enjoyed this recipe. The addition of cinnamon and cocoa powder gave this dish an incredible flavor. I didn't even miss the spiciness of our normal chili recipe! (It's mild enough for kids who may not like some traditional chili recipes.) It comes together quickly with on-hand ingredients. I made it on the stove top instead of the crock pot and it worked beautifully. Two thumbs up!
Feb 8, 2017
Very good chili dogs!! I added extra chili powder and some cayenne to give it an extra kick!!