Church Supper Hot Dish
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) chow mein noodles, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In same skillet, saute potatoes, celery, carrots, green pepper and onion in butter 5 minutes. Add water; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in soup and cooked ground beef until blended.
- Sprinkle half of the chow mein noodles into a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Spoon meat mixture over noodles. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Top with cheese and remaining noodles. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 339 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Aug 3, 2019
To "D" who posted a review in March, 2019: Instead of using chow mein noodles try using rice noodles found in the same section of the store. I switched to those a long time ago. They're thinner
May 11, 2019
This is a quick and easy meal. Love one pot meals!!
Mar 1, 2019
This was good, not great (a bit tasteless) but I had to omit the chinese noodles. In the past 4 - 5 years, every time I buy those chow mein noodles, they are rancid tasting and smelling. Awful. I'm sure it's the cheap oil they are made with, most likely either canola or soy. Yuk. I don't consume either of those oils, which is also why I do not buy canned soups. They are usually loaded with one or the other. Why do people think those oils are healthy?? I make my own Cream of Anything Soup. It's easy, fast and I know what's in it.
Jan 18, 2019
Although it might be good for a church supper. I found it lacking taste. I have been to more church suppers than most people and don't think people would be asking for the recipe.
Mar 19, 2017
Great old fashioned recipe.. Older recipes didn't have many spices, especially when serving to a group.. There are many add in's to try..
Nov 5, 2015
I did as others suggested and added some spices. I added minced garlic and seasoned salt to the vegetables. As another person said, I don't think this is quite 8 servings. Probably more like 6. Next time I will dice the potatoes, not slice them. I may also try using vegetable broth instead of water (to give it a bit more flavor). The chow mein noodles and the cheese really made this good. I may even add more cheese next time. A good base recipe, but does need some tweaking, so 4/5 stars. I served this with fresh biscuits. This will be great for cold nights.
Mar 21, 2014
The fam really enjoyed this dish. I added salt, pepper, garlic powder and some dry mustard (or I suppose one could use prepared mustard) which really helped spice it up (it was kind of blah before I added this stuff). I used cream of potato soup. Next time I make this I may omit the potato slices (there are chunks of potato in the potato soup) and just add some more hamburger. I loved the mixture of vegetables but felt the potato slices weren't really necessary. Another thought would be to add a dash of worchestershire sauce.
Jul 24, 2013
I would add a few more spices, but pretty good.
Jul 22, 2013
My family loved this, even my mom who is my biggest critic. I did make the recipe bigger, as I did not see how a 2 qt dish would feed 8 people. I did 1 1/2 lb ground beef, 4 c potatoes, 1 c celery, 1 c carrots, 1/2 c green pepper, increased the water to a little under 2 c and kept everything else the same, then put it into a 3 qt casserole dish. There was more than enough soup and water to keep everything moist and delicious! I also seasoned the beef while browning it and added salt, pepper, paprika, onion, and garlic powder to the vegetables when they were sauteing. This dish was EXCELLENT and very affordable. Most items you have already. Great weeknight meal!!
Mar 28, 2012
So easy but so good. Great flavor and makes the whole house smell wonderful. Everyone loves this.