Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved; stir in peanut butter.
- Remove from the heat. Add cereal and mix well. Press into a greased 13x9-in. pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 226 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Mar 6, 2017
I make these all the time, just without the shortening. They are SO GOOD. They always go fast at my house. Be sure not to boil the syrup mixture to long, or your bars will be hard!
Sep 21, 2013
Scotcheroos are one of my all time favorites. They remind me of my grandma! I also do not add the shortening. Just sprinkle the chips over the hot bars, wait for them to start to melt, and spread with a knife! :)
Nov 6, 2009
I can not stop eating these. I love them. Sometimes I put them in a 10x13 pan so they aren't quite so thick and I use 6 oz. each of the chips. I agree, the shortening is unnecessary. My brother is a marine and these travel great and are very well accepted!!
Mar 24, 2009
I make the same recipe, although I do not add the shortening. I really don't feel there is any need for it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.