Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 44 Red Hots
- OPTIONAL ICING/DECORATION:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Blue pearl dragees
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-1/2-in. reindeer-shaped cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-9 minutes. Immediately press a Red Hot onto each nose. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- If desired, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to reach a piping consistency. Place mixture in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag; fill with icing. Pipe around edges of cookies and add a dragee or the eye.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 135 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 9, 2014
These are well received by kids of all ages at Christmas parties and buffets. Dough was easy to work with and flavor is great! I used red hots for noses.
Dec 24, 2011
very tasty, and easy to make. Had a hardtime getting them on the cookie sheetbut very happy with results when through.
Dec 13, 2011
I did not like the taste, the dough should not be refridgerated 2 hours, and it was hard as a rock and very difficult to roll.
Dec 17, 2009
These are good and so easy to make. Well be taking these to a Christmas gathering Sat. and well be taking some of these and other cookies i have made from Taste of Home.
Dec 6, 2009
The dough is so yummy, I have to make them when the kids aren't around to put their fingers in the bowl.