- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- 1-3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls (see page 56), optional
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and cream. Stir over low heat until butter is melted. Pour into two greased 9-in. round cake pans. Sprinkle with pecans; set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Carefully pour batter over pecans. Bake at 325° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; invert onto wire racks to cool completely. For topping, beat cream in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff. Place one cake layer, pecan side up, on a serving plate. Spread with half of the topping. Top with second cake layer and remaining topping. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Praline Torte
"This is awesome and so easy to do. I agree with the lady who wrote about chilling the caramel mixture before pouring in the cake mixture. I don't spray my pans I grease them w/ Crisco. Don't let them cool to long either. If you do warm them up just a bit on a burner befor you turn them out. I know you will love this cake!"
"This recipe is fantastic! My family requests it regularly. To keep it from being messy, I chill the caramel mixture in the pan before pouring in the cake mixture. Works like a charm and keeps it from bubbling up over the pan and onto the bottom of the oven:)"
"This is delicious! Since I had extra time I made my cake from scratch. The combination was excellent. Thank you for sharing."