- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips, melted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 225°.
- Place sugar and strawberries in a food processor; process until powdery. Add gelatin; pulse to blend.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy, adding vanilla if desired. Gradually add gelatin mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #1M star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 2-in. roses 1-1/2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets.
- Remove meringues from paper. Dip bottoms in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set, about 45 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate-Dipped Strawberry Meringue Roses
"These look quite impressive, but they are very easy to make. Although I have a small bowl for my processor, the amount of sugar and strawberries is quite small and so it was difficult to get the strawberries totally powdered, but the very small pieces were just fine. I make a lot of meringue cookies, so I used 2 tsp. meringue powder and 2 tbsp. water for each egg white. For the second batch I made, I used strawberry extract instead of vanilla; both were fine."
"Recipe made more than stated but mine may of been smaller. Everyone liked them. They were pretty to look at. I used the flower tip that I had. I spooned chocolate on back of cookie and left chocolate side up to dry. They were a light and tasty treat for everyone to enjoy.Other flavors of fruit that can be used are: dried apple, berry, or tropical fruits. By changing and using other flavor jell-o this dessert could be made to taste different"