Strawberry Valentine Cookies
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup strawberry drink mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons strawberry drink mix
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon juice. Combine flour, drink mix, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2- to 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set and edges begin to brown. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over cookies; let stand until set.
- In a small bowl, beat butter, drink mix and salt until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Decorate cookies.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Nesquik brand drink mix.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 231 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 15, 2013
I discovered the recipe in one of the TOH annual books and there were no notations about Nesquik. A "footnote" about the product that the recipe was tested with would have been helpful.
Feb 15, 2013
I used Kool-aid and the cookies were too red and tart. If I made again, I would use the Nesquik as suggested.
Feb 6, 2013
These were awful. The strawberry drink mix in the dough was extremely tart. Seemed like there was something missing from the recipe.
Apr 24, 2012
Lovely soft cookies with a fantastic flavor, my family asks for these all the time now!
Feb 27, 2011
These are very good cookies. I did not modify any of the ingredients, but I did wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chilled it in the refrigerator. They weren't any harder to roll out and cut than any other sugar cookie recipe. I like the strawberry chocolate combination.
Feb 14, 2011
This turned out great! It sort of got hard to roll out because it was sticky, but I just put it in the fridge and tried again. Perfect! Great recipe!
Jan 19, 2011
Made these today. Used KoolAid this morning, which turned out almost red in colour and very tart. Went out and bought nesquick, and they looked great but tasted like cough syrup. Thought it was too bad, they're so pretty.
Dec 30, 2010
I thought these cookies were great. Just read the reviews about kool-aid w/sugar and strawberry nesquick, either one is good.I just want to say to lauren85, maybe it's not the recipe that's retarted! Just saying, maybe you didn't follow the recipe correctly. Any way, give it another try and follow the directions carefully.
Feb 12, 2010
Wish I would have read the reviews before making these cookies so I would have known that Strawberry drink mix is Nesquick, NOT Kool-aid. I used koolaid powder (not presweetened) and the cookies came out bright red and very tart! However, they are cute and different and I will definately make them again using NESQUICK this time!
Feb 11, 2010
I didn't have any of the problems mentioned here. I used kool aid drink mix with the sugar already in it. I used cherry as I couldn't find strawberry and they still tasted great. I did chill the dough for a bit before rolling them out. The dough did look a lot like a grainy play doh at first, but I squished it together before rolling it out and it was fine. A tip I have is to use powdered sugar instead of flour to roll out sugar cookies. It keeps them from drying out. I also used white chocolate chips instead of the milk. The cookies turned out pretty cute.