Chocolate Chess Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape dough into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights. Bake on a lower oven rack until light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugars, melted chocolate, milk, flour and vanilla. Gradually whisk in butter. Pour into crust. Cover edge with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Bake at 325° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 hours or until chilled.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 436 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 3, 2020
this pie turned out great! It was very simple and easy to follow, my family loved it!
Nov 11, 2019
TEST this is a test comment to review comments logging
Nov 3, 2019
I love chess pie, and this chocolate variation turned out great! I made it as written, and it was delicious. Because it is so chocolatey and rich, I make sure to top each slice with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for a nice flavor contrast.