- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, oil and carrots; beat until combined. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until smooth. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the frosting. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Carrot Cake
"It tastes amazing. I made some changes in cream, I lessened the sugar and added more chocolate and it was delicious."
"Absolutely amazing recipe! One of the best chocolate cakes I have ever had. It had the perfect amount of moistness. I made it for my 3 year olds birthday and will be making it again for her party in a couple weeks. I didn't have canola oil so I used sunflower oil. I also cut the sugar in the frosting to about 2 cups. I had to bake it a little longer than the recipe said.Does the cake need to be baked with the paper lining? I lined my cake pans, but It caused a textured edging and made it difficult to frost."
"Yummy cake! I used 1 cup oil and 1/4 cup applesauce. One pan was done at 30 minutes - the other I cooked 4 minutes longer (I think it had a little more batter in it). I used about 3/4 of the frosting. Very moist cake - it wasn't eaten until 2 days later and it was still very fresh and tasty. I kept it in the refrigerator of course because of the cream cheese frosting. Nobody believed it had carrots in it! Thanks for the great recipe!"
"What an outstanding recipe! My husband liked it so well that he even had 2 pieces the first night I served it!"
"I've been making this recipe for years, and I always come back because it impresses! It's super moist and delicious and I very rarely make changes (on purpose). For instance, this round I ran out of canola oil at 1 cup, and filled in the 1/4 with extra Virgin olive oil (no problems). I've made with butter and other times margarine, no problems. Substituted whole wheat flour and still delicious!! My ONLY complaint, is every time I've made this, the cooking time never works. I always have to cook an extra 10-15 minutes MINIMUM. I'm using the exact pan size, with the waxed paper, sprayed, the works. (with zero variation to the recipe these times); in multiple different ovens. (Like I said, years making this recipe!) I do understand that cooking times are "guidelines", but someone who doesn't bake often might be frustrated by the 25 minute timer, and the fact it isn't true. I've made this recipe in a bunt pan before and it takes well over an hour. Delicious recipe either way!!! Always a hit and always finished quickly! Thank you!!"
"This is one of my favorites."
"This cake was amazing, I made it for my husbands birthday, needless to say it did not sit around for long."
"This cake is extremely deliciouse! I substituted half the oil with vanilla yogurt, used low fat cream cheese and less margaine in the frosting and its just as good as ever. I have made it twice and will definitely make it again....so moist and yummy!"
"I have made this cake a dozen times, always turns out perfect! Never met anybody that doesn't LOVE it! Definitely a keeper!"
"This recipe makes a LOT of frosting.. I could have probably done half of it (and eaten the other half out of the bowl since it was so good). My issue was that I didn't let my cake to cook enough that some of the frosting melted and I made a big mess. But when I brought it in for the church potluck, I had so many compliments and people asking for this recipe! Yum."