VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound dark chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- 1/2 pound milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- Line a 9-in. square pan with foil and grease foil with butter; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Do not spread candy. Cool, then using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; break candy into pieces.
- In a microwave, melt dark chocolate coating and 1/2 teaspoon shortening; stir until smooth. Dip half the candies in the melted dark chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Repeat with milk chocolate coating and remaining shortening and candies. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-1/4 pounds.
Originally published as Angel Food Candy in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p71