In Almonte, Ontario, Janet Chappell serves these crisp meatless burgers with ketchup or plain yogurt to create an unusual taste sensation. The sharp cheddar brings a little zip to each bite.
Recommended: 50 Easy Baked Dinners to Make Tonight
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Ketchup or plain yogurt, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; shape into six 3/4-in. thick patties. Fry in a greased skillet until golden brown on both sides, or bake on a greased baking sheet at 350° for 25 minutes or until browned, turning once. Serve on buns with ketchup or yogurt if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Walnut Burgers in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p52