- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Remove from the heat and stir in cocoa until smooth. Blend in eggs, sugar and extracts. Stir in flour mixture, cherries and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For icing, blend butter vanilla, sugar, cocoa and milk until smooth; spread over hot brownies. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forBlack Forest Brownies
"Didn't use nuts or cherries. It was delicious. I also melted some milk chocolate and added it to the icing. I was trying to find the nutritional breakdown of this recipe, but couldn't find it."
"These were a little dry. Not sure if I over baked them or if there is something I could do to fix that. But the taste is really good. I intend to try again....any ideas for a more moist brownie?"
"Wonderful!! Moist chocolatey, it is my favorite brownie"
"This recipe is too good to keep at home. I sent it to my husbands work and now they beg me to make them! I chopped the cherries."