Beef Short Ribs in Burgundy Sauce
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 beef bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place short ribs on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 30-40 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir until tender, 10-12 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in water and wine. Add bouillon and parsley, stirring to dissolve bouillon.
- Transfer ribs to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove short ribs; keep warm. Skim fat from sauce; stir in remaining ingredients. Serve with ribs.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 264 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Oct 10, 2017
Not bad, but not great. Just so-so. Won't be making this again.
Jun 21, 2017
This was super yummy! Didn't have any beef bouillon so substituted 1 cup beef broth instead of water. It tasted delicious.Served with basmati rice and served the gravy over top. Not a bit leftover! Family loved it. Thank you for sharing !
Sep 1, 2016
Loved these ribs! I altered to a slow cooker for summer by leaving out the water and just putting the wine. Will def make again as an oven recipe, as soon as the weather cools down enough to have the oven on!
Aug 1, 2016
Excellent texture, but my husband and I both felt the onion flavor was stronger than the beef flavor. Next time, I would use all beef bouillon instead of wine, and perhaps substitute sliced mushrooms for some of the onion.I used my electric pressure cooker, substituting 35 minutes pressure for the 2 hour simmering time. Since the pressure cooker doesn't lose moisture, I cut the water from 1 cup to 1/4 cup, but still used a cup's worth of bouillon. I'll serve any leftover sauce over noodles, with sliced mushrooms.
May 21, 2015
These were so delicious! I made mine in the slow cooker. Just some small prep the night before preparing the ingredients. Before work the next morning, I added the cooked onions, garlic, and celery along with everything else to my crockpot and set it for 8 hours on low. It was perfect. Serve with your favorite cornbread!
Mar 19, 2015
Unfortunately, nothing in this recipe really stood out to us. It was a lot of work for an o.k. flavor.
Mar 8, 2015
Delicious and easy! I doubled the carrots and used half the meat, so I was able to shorten the cooking times slightly. It smelled heavenly while cooking and tasted fantastic. Served with butternut squash risotto.
Feb 21, 2015
Actually this is the first time I made short ribs and I will use the recipe a million more times (when short ribs are on sale) :) Followed the recipe and just loved the results. Ribs were tasty and tender.
Feb 15, 2015
This was delicious. Made some adjustments to our tastes and used Merlot wine instead and added whole Yukon Gold potatoes. I actually put this in my crock pot, put on the automatic timer and cooked on low for 6 hours. My house smelled wonderful and the ribs were tasty and tender. Will make this AGAIN.
Jan 26, 2015
I tried this for our Sunday dinner and it was wonderful. I tried to follow the recipe exactly and the ribs were very tender. I will use this recipe again
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.