- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dill seed, caraway seed, paprika and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Hot cooked rice
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, warmed
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add broth onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until beef is tender; reduce heat. Combine water and flour until smooth; gradually stir into the beef mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add sour cream and heat through (do not boil). Serve over rice with sauerkraut on the side. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forBavarian Beef Dinner
"There's no way that this recipe was rated 5 Stars. It was an awkward taste and my husband and kids ended up having Captain Crunch Cereal. I dont see how this won first place???"
"My family loved the blend of flavors, we served over mashed potatoes instead of rice. rave reviews"
"This is one of my favorite chuck roast recipes, I recently tried it using venison, it was great. My husband butchers his own deer and this is a great recipe to use the "smaller chunks"."
"When I tasted this recipe while it was cooking it was zippy and delicious! After I added the sour cream it became very mild. Next time I'll add less sour cream or just add a dab for garnish. It smelled fabulous as it cooked!"