Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 jar (3 ounces) macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon butter. Sprinkle coconut in a 12-in. circle on the prepared pan. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly. Stir in the macadamia nuts, pecans and remaining butter; cook and stir until the mixture reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Combine the baking soda, water and vanilla. Remove saucepan from the heat; stir in the baking soda mixture. Quickly pour over the coconut. Cool before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce: 164 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 6, 2013
I double this recipe and it is still never enough. My brother requests it each year for his birthday! Probably the best brittle I have ever made or eaten, and everyone that eats it agrees! I add a cup of chopped pecans.
Dec 21, 2009
This recipe is so very delicious, it's hard to not make it again. My family loves it and we will be keeping this recipe.
Dec 9, 2009
The very best brittle I have ever made ! If you want to make an extra special brittle that leaves your guests wanting more, give this recipe a try.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.