Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- PINEAPPLE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper or foil liners. Whisk first four ingredients; set aside. Beat eggs and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute. Add oil and coconut extract; beat 1 minute more. Add half the flour mixture; beat on low speed. Combine coconut milk and vinegar. Add half to batter; beat just until combined. Beat in remaining flour mixture, then remaining coconut milk mixture just until smooth.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake until cupcakes are golden brown and spring back lightly when touched, 15-18 minutes (do not overbake). Cool on wire rack.
- For frosting, cream shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar a half-cup at a time, adding finely chopped pineapple and pineapple juice after beating in 2 cups of sugar. Add additional confectioners' sugar and pineapple juice to reach desired consistency.
- Spoon frosting onto cupcakes. Top with toasted coconut and, if desired, chopped macadamia nuts.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 frosted cupcake: 533 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 11, 2018
At first, I couldn't decide whether not not I liked these, but I can't explain why. After eating 2, I decided to keep the recipe. They are really light and fluffy, including the frosting. I did have to bake them for about 5 minutes longer than the recipe said to. I also had a LOT of leftover frosting. These are very different and were a nice change.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.