- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the dates, water and butter; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and date mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if top browns to quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Date Nut Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p33
Reviews for Walnut Date Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 29, 2014
"My husband enjoys these moist tasty loaves. The recipe is easily halved if you only want 1 loaf. I have also frozen the extra loaf with good results."
Reviewed Nov. 22, 2009
"So easy to make and so wonderful to taste!"