- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in water and carrots; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, broth, chili powder, sugar, cumin and oregano; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, squash, tomatoes and ketchup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in beans and peas; simmer for 10 minutes. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Vegetable Chili
Sort By :
"This recipe was just okay. I won't make it again, but appreciated trying a healthier chili variety. It was very tomato-y and sweet."
"This is very filling, my husband makes it all the time!"
"I love this recipe! It is very hearty, freezes well, and pleases a crowd! I have made it for sevearl large groups and always get great comments on it. You can't go wrong with this recipe!"