- 8 medium baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°. Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Bake 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; reduce oven setting to 350°.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp and place in a large bowl; discard shells. Mash pulp with butter; stir in sour cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/4 cup crumbled bacon for topping. Gently fold remaining bacon, 1 cup cheese and half of the green onions into potato mixture (do not overmix).
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and green onions; sprinkle with reserved bacon. Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Reviews forTwice-Baked Cheddar Potato Casserole
"Made this casserole a day ahead for Christmas dinner.... 1.5 times the recipe as someone suggested and started out with mashed potatoes instead of baking them and it turned out amazing! It was such a hit, my mashed potatoes that I made (just in case), barely got touched! I will DEFINITELY BE making this again and again. Thanks for the delicious recipe."
"Great recipe. I will be making this one for the holidays! I made it as directed. Everyone loved it and there wasn't much left."
"This was very good!"
"This recipe exceeded my expectations, and I like a lot of flavor. Thank you Kyle!"
"This was excellent. Everyone at the potluck wanted the recipe. I will definitely make it again."
"Very, very good! I made this for a pot luck recently. There was very little left over."
"Absolutely delicious! I made exactly as directed. As good as any twice baked potato that I have ever had. Can't wait to make and enjoy again."
"A great recipe; I've been making this for years-no need to bake in the oven- I put the potatoes in the microwave to cook- quick and easy!"
"Excellent recipe. In reply to "gailml12" Yes, it can be frozen, just make sure it's at room temp. before putting the toppings on and putting it in the oven for it's 20 min. bake."
"I'm giving it 5 stars b/c it sounds so good, but I need to ask a couple of questions and can't submit them until I give it a rating. :) Has anyone tried making this ahead of time and refrigerating it? Also, has anyone tried doubling it? Thanks"