- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups tomato or V8 juice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, oregano, garlic powder, basil and rosemary. In a large saucepan, heat the tomato juice, tomato sauce and oil to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally. Add the dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices).
Reviews for Tomato Bread
Sort By :
"Loved this bread....but what was better than the bread was the dried bread crumbs that I made and used on chicken breasts. It was AMAZING."
"I altered the recipe slightly after making it a couple of times. I substituted 1 tablespoon of pizza seasoning for the spices/herbs, used an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce and enough V8 to measure a total of 2.5 cups of liquid. Additionally, I used bread flour because regular flour didn't rise enough and the bread was dense. That being said, this is delicious bread. You can toast it for breakfast, make grilled cheese sandwiches or even shape slices into hors d'oeuvres, top with a little sauce and sauce and toast under the broiler. This is one of my favorite bread recipes!"
"I omitted the herbs/spices and used two teaspoons of a pizza spice blend. I used V/8 so I skipped the extra salt. This bread really does taste like pizza! Grilled with a slice of cheese and fresh heirloom garden tomatoes gives you a tasty delight that you could serve to company."