- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, celery and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chicken, soups, tomatoes and chili powder.
- Line the bottom of a 3-qt. baking dish with half of the tortilla strips; top with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Texan Ranch Chicken Casserole
Sort By :
"This is great and easy. Make sure you have a big pan for the saute portion of the cooking process (such as a 4qt essential pan from William Sonoma). I think adding sweet corn cut fresh off the cob might add some sweetness and texture to the dish. Also, sprinkling the top layer of cheese with panko bread crumbs helps soak up excess moisture and adds a much needed crunch. Broiling for 2-5 min (depending on your oven) can make a nice caramelized cheese finish. I had seconds. Thanks for posting :)"
"It tasted great but mine came out very runny. I thought I made a mistake by not draining the tomatoes but it says not to. I would have to make a side dish of rice to soak it up."
"Fantastic! Admittedly, I changed the recipe somewhat based on other reviews. Four cups of shredded chicken to make it heartier, two large red peppers but no celery, cream of mushroom instead of cream of celery and added 1/3 cup of chopped pickled jalapenos. My husband isn't a big fan of casseroles but really liked this one. I didn't use the fat-free, low-sodium versions but will try next time, there is plenty of flavor to try that."
"I made this a few weeks ago and WOW!I don't know why some reviews say dull and no flavor because with in 5 minutes of hitting the table it was gone. Lots of flavor. Their taste buds must be dead. Loved this and I am making this again tonight. Making 2 this time as they seemed not to get enough last time. LOLThank you so much!!!!"
"It was really good and easy to make. I don't like celery so I used cream of chicken soup instead of cream of celery and also left out the celery. It still tasted great with plenty of flavor."