This dessert gets added spark from a gingersnap crust and a luscious lemon sauce. The mix of sweet and tart is unexpected and delightful. I came up with the recipe based on several others I encountered on a trip to California with my husband for our 15th anniversary.
- 2-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 55 cookies)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Combine cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla. Pour into crust.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, lemon juice and peel. Refrigerate cheesecake and sauce overnight. Serve sauce over cheesecake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Lemon Cheesecake in Taste of Home December/January 1999, p27
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Tangy Lemon Cheesecake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review