- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and eggs; crumble beef over top and mix well. Add onion and half of the tomato sauce. Press into a 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes. In a saucepan, combine the sugars, vinegar, mustard and remaining tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Pour over meat loaf; bake 10 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaf; reheat on a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSweet-and-Sour Meat Loaf
"My family likes this recipe. You can make the sauce more sweet and sour if that is the taste your family prefers. I found the recipe to be good just the way it is for my families taste."
"Great Recipe. I made as written and it was delicious but I prefer using crackers instead of bread crumbs in my meat loaf (guess it's what you get used to), so the next time I doubled the recipe and made it with a sleeve and a half saltine crackers and added a packet of onion soup mix for more robust flavor. It was absolutely delicious. I froze one of the loafs uncooked along with a baggie of the prepared sauce for an easy fix meal later. Next time I might also try making all the tomato sauce into the topping sauce and adding half to the mixture instead of straight tomato sauce. I am also going to use this sauce for my meatball appetizers in my slow cooker."
"Great recipe. My only adjustment was to prepare the topping sauce and add that to the meat mixture rather than straight tomato sauce. Delicious. I definitely will make again."
"I have also used this recipe for years. Everyone has loved it. I was so glad to see this recipe, lost it in moving. Will print and put it in recipe box. The sauce is what makes it so good."
"Very good! The sauce was delicious!"
"This is a family favorite! Every time I make this they love it and tell me I should make it every day. Even my kids eat it up!"
"The meatloaf was very tasty but, based on some of the reviews, I omitted the 1/2 cup sugar, increased the brown sugar to 1/2 cup, and added an extra tablespoon of vinegar to the sauce/topping to produce a stronger sweet-sour taste. My family loved it! Thanks for the recipe."
"Great easy recipe for meatloaf. Didn't have much of a sweet n sour taste, but was still very good!"
"Love this recipe, it's easy and tasty, make it for my family often. I add green pepper and worcestershire sauce for a bit more zip. Thanks for sharing."