- 8 cups water
- 3/4 cup cubed cooked roast beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth, optional
- 2 tablespoons browning sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato sauce
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a Dutch oven, combine the water, beef, onion, tomatoes, cabbage, celery, carrot, sugar, vinegar and wine or broth if desired. Stir in the browning sauce, Worcestershire, tomato sauce, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and oil until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Beef Cabbage Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p51
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Beef Cabbage Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 13, 2011
I followed recipe exactly and could not eat it. ONE CUP of sugar??! It has to be a typo?!
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2009