Swedish Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 egg
- 2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- In a large bowl, beat egg; add 1/3 cup cream, bread crumbs, onion and 1 teaspoon of salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in butter in batches. Remove from the pan; set aside. Drain fat.
- To pan, add the flour, bouillon, pepper, garlic salt and remaining salt; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add potatoes and meatballs.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in peas and remaining cream; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Swedish Meatball Soup(3)
Sort By :
I am now 77 years young, however. my grandparents came from Sweden in the early 1900's, consequently we ate various Swedish soups. One similar to this was in the recipe box. I added a "wee pinch" of nutmeg to the meatballs, and one leek when cooking the potatoes for a bit of flavor. When serving I chopped just a few sprinkles of fresh dill. Delicious and reminded me of my childhood and Grandm's house.
Oh my gosh what a great soup! I added nutmeg to the meatball mixture because Swedes always use nutmeg in meatballs. I live in an area where the majority of the population is Swedish and I have never heard of Swedish meatball soup. My church has a soup tureen in January and i can't wait to take this. I am confident it will be a hit! Thanks for the great recipe!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Meatball Soup >
- Pea Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >