These crisp, delicate cookies are light as a feather. Mini chocolate chips and chopped nuts are a delightful and yummy surprise in every bite. Mom knows this fun dessert is a fitting finale to a big meal.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand for 30 minutes. Add the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Surprise Meringues in Taste of Home December/January 1998, p35
Reviews for Surprise Meringues
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review