- 8 medium yellow, green or sweet red peppers
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Pepper to taste
- Cut the tops off peppers and reserve. Cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from water and rinse with cold water; set aside. Remove stems from pepper tops and chop enough of the tops to measure 1/3 cup. (Save remaining peppers for another use.)
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat; drain if necessary. Add the onion, cabbage, carrot, zucchini and reserved chopped peppers; saute until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, rice, brown sugar, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stuff hot meat mixture into peppers; warm in the microwave if necessary. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Summer Stuffed Peppers in Country June/July 1991, p49
Reviews for Summer Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 24, 2012