From Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, Gail Smrtic shares this colorful casserole that makes the most of fresh summer squash. A handful of chopped pecans adds a nutty crunch to the creamy side dish.
- 3 cups sliced yellow summer squash
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place squash and water in a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well. Stir in the green pepper, onion, pecans, mayonnaise, 1/3 cup of cheese, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a lightly greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Summer Squash Bake in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p57
Reviews for Summer Squash Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review