Slow-Cooked Summer Squash
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 pound medium yellow summer squash
- 1 pound medium zucchini
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups Caesar salad croutons, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Cut squash into 1/4-inch -thick slices. In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine squash, tomatoes and green onions. Add salt, pepper and broth. Cook, covered, on low until tender, 2-1/2 - 3-1/2 hours. Remove squash with a slotted spoon.
- To serve, top with croutons, cheese and bacon.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 111 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jun 10, 2019
To give this a little more spice but make it Gluten Free, try adding spicy corn chips instead of croutons.
May 30, 2019
This was good but a little on the bland side. Next time I will add some other seasonings. After cooking for 1-1/2 hours I checked and the squash were beginning to get a little soggy. I layed a clean dish towel over the crock and replace the lid for the remainder of the cooking time. The squash were nice and tender without being watery.