- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 large green peppers
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Drain tomatoes reserving juice; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert onto paper towels.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, parsley, paprika, salt, pepper flakes and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in one can tomato sauce, corn, quinoa and tomatoes; heat through.
- Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the reserved tomato juice and remaining tomato sauce; pour over peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa
Sort By :
"Wow I really enjoyed this recipe. I accidentally added a 15 oz can of tomato sauce when the recipe called for 8 oz, so I was concerned how that would taste but it was delicious. Also, the tomato sauce I had on hand was NOT salt-free, so I can't say how no-salt tomato sauce would have changed the flavor. Anyways I loved it and will make it again!"
"Really delicious recipe. I used red peppers and instead of plain quinoa I used a quinoa/brown rice 'Near East' brand boxed product. Quinoa alone was beyond my budget. They turned out amazing! I agree with one other review that they are filling and 1/2 is plenty!"
"Just what I was looking for! I had green, orange and red peppers so used them all. Added a bit of cumin just because. I had fresh tomatoes so added them instead of canned. Baked the peppers a bit longer than recommended as they were too crispy after 35 minutes. I also used canned corn since I didn't have frozen; worked very well. Healthy, tasty, attractive dish!"
"Excellent recipe! It ended up taking me longer to prepare than I had anticipated but the peppers taste great. This is one of my favorite recipes using quinoa that I have made. I made it exactly per the directions."
"I used red peppers and canned corn because that is what I had on hand and they were great!"