My son doesn’t like traditional birthday cakes and always asks for something with strawberries for the occasion. I hit the jackpot when I dreamed up this delicious cake with a “surprise” inside. —Janis Borstad, Ponsford, Minnesota
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a 10-in. ungreased tube pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Cut a 1-in. slice off the top of the cake; set aside. To make a tunnel, carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. Tear removed cake into 1-in. cubes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in milk and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in extract and food coloring if desired. Stir in cake cubes and strawberries. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping.
- Fill tunnel with strawberry mixture; replace cake top. Spread remaining whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Tunnel Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2006, p37
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Tunnel Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review