- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, lemon peel, salt and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead five times. Gently knead in strawberries, about five times. Pat into an 8-in. circle; brush with egg and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
Reviews for Strawberries 'n' Cream Scones
Sort By :
"These were just OK, not much flavor and really missed the mark on the texture of a good scone."
"These tasted great but I had a little trouble getting the strawberries kneaded in without the dough becoming sticky. I think it might be better to add the berries to the dry ingredients after you cut the butter in. Then add the cream and gently knead five times. I think that's what I will try next time I make them."
"Pretty good, as far as scones go. Not to dry, like some are. Very strawberry-y."
"My family loved these scones - disappeared in a few minutes. Just a few notes - when you add the cream the mixture will be crumbly but becomes a dough when you add the strawberries. We added some whipped cream on top (spray bottle was easy) to make them even better."
"Exactly to recipe an excellent scone"