If you are like me, you won't be able to eat just one of these warm scones rich with cream and packed with berry goodness.—Agnes Ward, Stratford, Ontario
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, lemon peel, salt and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead five times. Gently knead in strawberries, about five times. Pat into an 8-in. circle; brush with egg and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
Originally published as Strawberries 'n' Cream Scones in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p34
Reviews for Strawberries 'n' Cream Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review