Savory Cocktail Scones
Scones are comfort food to me, and I wanted to make a savory version with roasted garlic butter. The addition of bacon seemed natural. Their cocktail size makes these savory scones fun; they also work for a brunch buffet.—Donna Marie Ryan, Topsfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; mash with fork. Stir in butter; set aside.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the same skillet, cook and stir onion in the drippings until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg, sherry and cream; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in onion and bacon.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into a 10x5-in. rectangle. Using a floured knife, cut into eight 2-1/2-in. squares; cut each square diagonally in half.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; brush with milk. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 204 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.