- 1 loaf (8 ounces) unsliced French bread
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 6 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; spread cut sides with half of the butter. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook onions in remaining butter over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add the spinach, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce; cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until spinach is tender.
- Spread over bottom half of loaf; sprinkle with cheeses. Replace bread top. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Open foil; bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Spinach Po' Boy(12)
Sort By :
I made this sandwich 2 nights in a row, it was delicious, I also added mushrooms, all I can say is yummy & nutritious. I also made baked sweet potato chips.
Wonderful recipe! IF I want to make it a bit healthier, I MAY use olive oil instead of butter, but the spinach takes care of the "healthy" in my cookbook-mind! - and I use a bit more than the recipe calls for. I like "packed" sandwiches!! I love Artisan's Bread for this kind of sandwich, but will also use individual buns - even Kaiser rolls, as long as they're a wee bit crusty. Thanks for a great recipe - and helpful reviews, especially re using frozen spinach if that's the only spinach in the house!
kissmekate22 hit the nail on the head! We ARE much worse off since the "low fat, no fat, sugar free, sugarless" craze began! If those words are in the title...that means there are added CHEMICALS! Your body doesn't know how to process chemicals so they are automatically stored as fat. Eat WHOLE fat and REAL sugar.....they may not be great for you, but at least your body knows how to process them! I haven't made this sandwich but I will this week, it sounds DELISH! And yes, anyway you can get healthy veggies in you is a good thing! "For the life of me, and your readers".....please don't speak for the rest of us. Assuming we all think the same way you do is a little presumptuous, no?
This sandwich is delicious and anytime I can get my family to eat a healthy veggie like spinach I'm all for it!!
If it doesn't sound good to you, just look for a different recipe. I thought this was very good.