- 1 loaf (8 ounces) unsliced French bread
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 6 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; spread cut sides with half of the butter. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook onions in remaining butter over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add the spinach, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce; cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until spinach is tender.
- Spread over bottom half of loaf; sprinkle with cheeses. Replace bread top. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Open foil; bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Spinach Po' Boy
"We really enjoy these. I used about 4-5 cups of spinach, and that was enough for 2 servings. The spinach really wilts and shrinks down."
"I made this sandwich 2 nights in a row, it was delicious, I also added mushrooms, all I can say is yummy & nutritious. I also made baked sweet potato chips."
"Wonderful recipe! IF I want to make it a bit healthier, I MAY use olive oil instead of butter, but the spinach takes care of the "healthy" in my cookbook-mind! - and I use a bit more than the recipe calls for. I like "packed" sandwiches!! I love Artisan's Bread for this kind of sandwich, but will also use individual buns - even Kaiser rolls, as long as they're a wee bit crusty. Thanks for a great recipe - and helpful reviews, especially re using frozen spinach if that's the only spinach in the house!"
" I haven't made this sandwich but I will this week, it sounds DELISH! And yes, anyway you can get healthy veggies in you is a good thing!"
"This sandwich is delicious and anytime I can get my family to eat a healthy veggie like spinach I'm all for it!!"