Southwestern Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons diced jalapeno pepper
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- Sour cream, coarsely crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Add the turkey, beans, tomatoes and corn.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Garnish with sour cream, chips, cheese and olives if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Southwestern Turkey Soup
Sort By :
Delicious and easy... Next time I will at least double this recipe. Full of flavour but not too spicy... This will become my go-to recipe for leftover turkey methinks....
I make this every time we have leftover turkey. We grill our turkey and corn, which adds great flavor!
I have made this several times now & one of the best things about this recipe is how quickly it comes together. It's a real treat to be able to make a delicious meal without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Love the combination of the spicy flavors. If I don't have jalapenos in the house, I use canned diced tomatoes with jalapenos & it's just as good. I reduce the cumin to 2 teaspoons, increase the broth to 16 ounces, & use canned corn instead of frozen. Perfect every time!
My family and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! We have a family of 5 and I would suggest doubling it because we didn't have any left over. I made it last week and it was delicious. I made a turkey again today so that I could use the leftover and make a big huge pot of this soup. So yummy and great for a cold day!!!
Delicious! Flavorful and spicy but not too hot. My whole family enjoyed it. I doubled/tripled parts (used 3 different kinds of beans, 3 jalepenos and added an extra can of diced green chilis) so I could make enough to use all my leftover turkey. If you like cumin flavor you will love this soup.