- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. In a bowl, beat sugars and egg; add buttermilk and peppermint extract. Beat in chocolate mixture.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes or until dough becomes firmer.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Soft Chocolate Mint Cookies
Sort By :
"These cookies are so delicious! I changed the recipe slightly by adding 5 (instead of 3) OZ of DARK chocolate, 2 and a half EXTRA TBSP of flour and chocolate chips into the dough. They came out so moist and chewy. Definitely will make this again!"
"My husband loves these cookies and they are easy to make."
"These cookies have a brownie-like texture. I didn't have buttermilk so I substituted about 1 tsp. lemon juice + 1/4 c. skim milk (do not stir) and let it sit for 5-7 minutes. I put about 9-12 cookies on a greased cookie sheet at a time and let them bake for 9 minutes. Any longer and they would have been overcooked, any shorter and they would have been too gooey. These cookies taste like a brownie when you first bite into them, and then you get the delicious peppermint flavor. My family was begging me to bake another batch!"
"Very moist, brownie-like texture. I added 1/2 c. mint chocolate chips(there's no such thing as too much chocolate!)."