This juicy steak rubbed with espresso, cocoa and pumpkin pie spice is one of my husband’s favorites. We usually grill it, but broiling works in the chilly months. —Deborah Biggs, Omaha, Nebraska
- 3 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef flat iron or top sirloin steak (3/4 inch thick)
- Preheat broiler. In a small bowl, mix the first seven ingredients; rub over both sides of steak. Place steak on a broiler pan; let stand 10 minutes.
- Broil steak 3-4 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Espresso Steak in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Smoky Espresso Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review