Slow-Simmering Beef Bourguignon Recipe
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or additional beef broth, divided
- 3/4 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 thick-sliced bacon strip, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian tomato paste
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon to a 4- or 5-qt slow cooker. Add flour; toss to coat. Add broth and 1 cup wine.
- In the same skillet, add the mushrooms, onion, carrots and bacon; cook and stir over medium heat until carrots are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; stir in tomato paste. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow-Simmering Beef Bourguignon(6)
Sort By :
Great flavor, followed other cooks' tips. Our dog likes the leftovers.
Cooking for family of 8 necessitated doubling recipe - also tweaked a bit to suit my style:
Cooked in French Oven (enameled cast iron) - cuts cooking time by 1/2
Used Stock instead of Broth (find Stock a more flavorful recipe alternative to broth)
Mixed salt and pepper in small plastic zipper-sealed bag prior to sprinkling handfuls on beef to ensure even coverage
Used entire pkg of carrots
Used THICK cut bacon strips as one previous reviewer commented on this ingredient's lack of flavor contribution (wish recipe was clearer as far as thickness and whether to use flavored (maple, etc) or unflavored bacon - I used pre-packaged THICK, BUTCHER CUT, unflavored)
Found it helpful chopping bacon & onions simultaneously in food processor
Used Gourmet Freeze-Dried Garlic (1/4 tsp = 1 clove fresh - doubling recipe calling for 2 cloves minced, used 1 tsp Freeze-Dried)
Omitted mushrooms (although I like them, kids & hubs not big fans)
Used Syrah for Dry Red Wine (find using addt'l broth instead of wine gives less rich flavor to recipes)
Also used (& doubled) Bay Leaf and Thyme suggestion by previous reviewer Aug2295
Having 6 children under 13 yrs., usually try to do prep work on Slow Cooker recipes night before - for this recipe, only able to slice carrots submerging in cold water in covered casserole dish storing in fridge - hand-sliced carrots for thicker slices since directions indicated cooking carrots and vegetables in skillet until carrots tender (thought thicker slices likely required as food processed slices are thinner cooking to tender much faster - wish recipe was clearer as far as thickness of sliced carrots)
Cooking now - will update and give stars after dish is fully cooked and served - have to say, smells FABULOUS! Loving this recipe so far - as always, though, truth will be in the tasting. =) (Only thing is, think will try putting meat in French Oven w/o precooking in skillet or adding flour as another reviewer suggested yields more tender meat - to preserve flavor, would put meat juice from packages of stew meat into skillet w/veggies, garlic, paste and wine)
Texture is perfectand flavors blend well but I found it wanting a little more seasoning. A bay leaf and a tsp of thyme next time, I think. I did leave out the mushrooms.
Loved it! Made it once with the bacon thought it added no flavor so I don't add it anymore. Also, I use the entire bag of carrotts for more vegetables otherwise it just seems like a meat dish. The first time I made this, I misread the recipe and put all the meat in the slow cooker without adding the flour to it and cooking it in the pan. It came out so tender that my husband told me to keep doing it that way! It saves me prep time and even my 6 year old loves this!!
This was delicious and so easy to make!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >