Slow Cooker Sauerbraten Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast or rump roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add water. In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, onion, brown sugar and vinegar; pour over roast.
- Place pickling spices and bay leaves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add spice bag and cookie crumbs to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Discard spice bag. Strain cooking juices; transfer 4 cups to a large saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Sauerbraten(3)
Sort By :
Not what we were expecting. Maybe too much vinegar, just not sure. We won't make it again.
Nice variation on the original and pretty easy to put together. I think I used a bottom round roast - that's what was on sale - and it was fine.
Very good gravy favor with this recipe for a mock sauerbraten. Only thing is next time i would make half the sauce the recipe calls for. The roast was swimming in sauce and i had enough for another whole roast. Being of German background and making sauerbraten from scratch many times this is a easy substitution.