- 1 boneless beef chuck roast or rump roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add water. In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, onion, brown sugar and vinegar; pour over roast.
- Place pickling spices and bay leaves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add spice bag and cookie crumbs to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Discard spice bag. Strain cooking juices; transfer 4 cups to a large saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Sauerbraten
"This was easy and so delicious, I had never made or had this dish. It was very easy and very good Sauerbraten , will make and share it with friends"
"It is delish!!!!"
"Wow, sauerbraten, the easy way. So good and not the 2 day prep work. Made it just right."
"Not what we were expecting. Maybe too much vinegar, just not sure. We won't make it again."
"Nice variation on the original and pretty easy to put together. I think I used a bottom round roast - that's what was on sale - and it was fine."
"Very good gravy favor with this recipe for a mock sauerbraten. Only thing is next time i would make half the sauce the recipe calls for. The roast was swimming in sauce and i had enough for another whole roast. Being of German background and making sauerbraten from scratch many times this is a easy substitution."