Sloppy joe flavor meets veggie lasagna wholesomeness. My family loves this dynamic duo, and you’ll love how simple it is to prepare. —Sue Schmidtke, Oro Valley, Arizona
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the vegetables, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sloppy joe mix, parsley and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture.
- Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with cottage cheese, 3/4 cup Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and the remaining pasta mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Colby-Monterey Jack cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sloppy Joe Veggie Casserole in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012, p21
Reviews for Sloppy Joe Veggie Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review