Shortbread Cutouts Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Colored sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Transfer dough to a clean work surface; knead gently to form a smooth dough, about 2 minutes. (Mixture will be very crumbly at first, but will come together and form a dough as it's kneaded.)
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion between two sheets of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2- to 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Shortbread Cutouts(9)
Sort By :
Good recipe, I did the same and cut the flour down to 2 1/4 cups since rolling it out in flour adds more. Also added a tsp of vanilla to add a tad bit more moisture. Make sure you kneed the dough thoroughly and roll it out while it's at room temp. Does not work well chilled! Cookies came out great and tasted just like the ones I used to make with my mom when I was a kid... Everyone loved them!
The dough is a little too dry, so I cut the flour down to 2 cups. I have no trouble rolling and cutting them out, and have used both colored sugar and glaze to decorate them. They are delicious, and wildly popular with everyone who gets them.
Didn't care for this recipe. Shortbread dough really shouldn't be rolled out.
I have made these several times love them, we frost them too . I have never had trouble with mixing.
YUM! I made these tonight, a little worried after reading the earlier reviews. Shouldnt have worried, no problem in rolling them out. I use parchment for rolling and wish I would have found this magic solution many many years ago. It would have made me look so good. The cookies are delicious of course how can you go wrong with a simple shortbread. I made these with a 2 inch flower and sprinkled brown and orange jimmies on them for a Halloween flair. And oh my house smells like a bakery! Try these if you like a rich cookie! So good.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Easy Dessert Recipes >
- Easy Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Halloween Desserts >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >