- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Green paste food coloring
- Green colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Gradually add flour and salt. Tint with food coloring. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-in. shamrock cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forShamrock Cookies
"I?m planning the St. Patrick?s Day party for my daughter?s class. I can?t wait to make these..they will be a hit with the kids! I found some cello candy bags from Box and Wrap that have shamrocks on the bags?.so cute. It?s the extra special touches that make the party great. Thanks so much for the recipe."
"We have been making this recipe for years! Now I make them every year at this time with my boys. I like to roll the dough into balls, placing three together then adding a stem. My 4 year old can help make the balls and then my 2 year old can make an indentation in each ball with his finger."