Minty Ice Cream Shamrocks
With a soft, chewy chocolate cookie and festive mint green ice cream, these fun desserts are a sweet delight on St. Patrick's Day. You can cut out the cookie wafers in any shape you choose and use any flavor ice cream. Try heart shapes for Valentine's Day filled with strawberry ice cream. —Beverly Coyde, Gasport, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + freezing
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture just until blended. Divide dough into two portions; flatten. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8- to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. shamrock cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Prick with a fork if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread 1/4 to 1/3 cup ice cream over the bottom of six cookies; top with remaining cookies. Wrap individually in plastic; freeze. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 408 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Wafers in Taste of Home February/March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.