- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 6 small red potatoes, halved
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the seasonings. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Spoon half of the butter mixture over chicken. Place the potatoes, carrots and onions around chicken. Drizzle remaining butter mixture over vegetables.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 30-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally.
- Cover with foil and let stand 10-15 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables. Yield: 9 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Roasted Chicken with Rosemary
Sort By :
one of my husband's favorite dishes! only advice is to not go heavy on the rosemary. Can take over the whole dish. When I make this, I tend to scale back a little on the herbs.
Just made this for the first time this past weekend. We loved it! It had a wonderful flavor and was very moist. I think it would have come out better though if I had used an actual roasting pan. I just used a 13x9 pan with a rack, and covered it with heavy-duty foil. But the veggies were on the verge of not being quite cooked, and the chicken took longer to cook than the recipe said. (I didn't check the weight on my roasting chicken; it may have been more than the 5-6 pound specification.) So next time I will use a roasting pan, and allow extra time just in case. The flavor was wonderful, as I said, and I liked the idea of a complete meal in one pan. We just added a side of stuffing and a dish of cranberry sauce.
My husband's new favorite!
My chicken turned out tender & moist! I rubbed some of the butter mixture under the skin on the breast & that really gave the breast portion extra flavor. My veggies were a little overdone, so next time I will put them in after the chicken has baked an hour.
Substituted Thyme for Rosemary. Very good. Kids loved it as well. Preparing to make it for the 2nd time tomorrow.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >