- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh rhubarb (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- Toss rhubarb with 2 tablespoons sugar; let stand while preparing batter.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, eggs, vanilla and remaining sugar until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder; gradually beat into oil mixture (batter will be thick). Stir in rhubarb mixture and, if desired, pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Rhubread
"Would frozen rhubarb work in this recipe?"
"I want to try this but what do I need to do to prepare in a bread maker?"
"This bread was very tasty, but it seemed a bit too oily for my taste. I will give it another chance with 1/2 applesauce, 1/2 oil."
"This recipe is a staple in my house now!! Thank you!"
"Excellent recipe and you don't need to peel the rhubarb"
"Our new house has rhubarb growing out back also. Question: Should I peel the rhubarb stalk in much the same way that I would peel a celery stalk?"
"Oh my this bread is good. Very moist and I love the bits of tanginess provided by the rhubarb. This recipe is a keeper!!"